Thursday, March 20, 2014

About Me and This Site

Hi. I'm Irid, your translator. This is not my first time translating Chinese to English, but I am fairly new at this, so please don't expect too much from me.

You might be wondering why I've included the Chinese text as well as my English translation. Truthfully, my Chinese isn't that great, and I rely on lots of different translation sites to help me. Unfortunately, these sites may not be very accurate, and I inevitably come across phrases that these translation sites can't help me with. There may also be typos in the original Chinese text that I do not catch. If your Chinese is fairly good, I would appreciate it if you would help me check the accuracy of my translations as you read, or at least look over several words or phrases I'm having trouble with. For now, I've decided to use orange text to indicate words or phrases that I'm not sure about. Even if you don't know any Chinese, I'd be grateful if you helped me point out mistakes in grammar, punctuation, etc. You could even criticize my word choice or suggest less wordy ways to convey an idea. If you come across anything you think needs changing, please feel free to leave a comment or email me (iridtranslations@gmail.com). By the way, I live in the United States, so I will be following the standards for grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc. of that country.

I think some of you would probably ask me why I bother translating when my Chinese is this terrible. One of the reasons why I'm translating is so that I can improve my Chinese (and my English). I'd be grateful if you helped me with that.

Eclipse Hunter is one of my favorite light novels. It seems like the Odd Squad translators are too busy with their lives to do much translating, so I've decided to give it a try. I did send my translations to the Odd Squad translators, though, and if my translations are good enough, they might help me edit them and post them on their site. But since it's already been several weeks and I still haven't gotten a reply, I've decided to post my translations here temporarily. If Odd Squad decides to post my translations, I might take them off this site. If the fact that my translations may not be too accurate bothers you, please wait for Odd Squad's version.

I don't have a fixed schedule for when I post translations. I work on them when I have free time. I am a student, so yes, I do have schoolwork to do, among other things, which may make it difficult for me to find time to work on translating.

One more thing. I do not make any money from translating. Eclipse Hunter was written by Yu Wo. Please do not steal credit for my translations. Please support the author by buying her books. (I'm not sure what else to put in a disclaimer, oh well)

2 comments:

  1. <3 THANK YOU VERY MUCH~ This is also my most favorite LN from Yu Wo, it's just SO CUTE~ Both sexy Dar and cute Dar are asdfjkl; SO GLOMPABLE

    I have a personal translator, my sister who is well-versed in Chinese, and she already translated everything to me, but since it was by mouth the effect drops QwQ So thank you so so much for taking up this project! I was so devastated when Oddsquad died on it... So thank you thank you thank you! I will keep refreshing this page a lot and a lot so please, update as soon as is convenient QwQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would also like to thank you for continuing the translations for this story. I was checking Odd Squad's site from early April for your updated chapters. I am very happy to have found your blog site through BL translations.

    ReplyDelete